Bridging the Communication Gap with DoloTest. WONCA 2011
WONCA is the international scientific association for primary care, and its European section held its annual scientific conference in Warsaw, Poland from 8th to 11th September 2011. I held a presentation there in the section for “Quality of Life and Quality of Care” with the title “Bridging the communication gap between pain patients and healthcare providers using DoloTest”
Below you can se the presentation. After the presentation there were some 5 minutes for questions.
One question was about the validation study of DoloTest, how it was made. I went through a description of the procedure with 246 pain patients, 4 specialized pain clinics. All patients completing a DoloTest and a SF-36, retest after 5 weeks. Positive correlations in test and retest.
Another question was about use of DoloTest in older people. I explained that we have made a study published i JAGS (Journal of American Geriatric Society) in December 2010. In the study patients were between 68 and 92 years old. We had compared the score on the MiniMental State Examination test (MMSE) with ability to complete and understand DoloTest and time used and help needed to complete the test. Most persons with MMSE score above 19 were able to complete and understand the test. However patients who were able to make the part of the MMSE test where they are asked to complete two interlocking pentagons were significant better able to complete and understand the DoloTest and they needed less time and help to complete the test. The average time in the whole test population was 5 minutes. More here.
One of the chairmen for the session asked me why DoloTest should be better than SF-36. The answer vas:
- DoloTest takes less than 2 minutes to complete in contrast to 10 ti 15 minutes for SF-36
- DoloTest allow the patient to take part of interpretation of the test result by the visual profile, SF-36 present the test result as one or mre scores meaning absolutely nothing to the patient
- DoloTest ask to the very important sleep problems, SF-36 does not
- DoloTest-Profiles can be used to set goals and to evaluate response to treatment together with the patient
- DoloTest is in contrast to SF-36 intuitively clear to understand and to use, no need for manuals
See the presentation here as a podcast in iTunes
Your comments are as always welcome below
Kim Kristiansen, M.D. (2011). Bridging the Communication Gap with DoloTest. WONCA 2011 Picture of Pain Blog : http://blog.dolotest.com/2011/09/20/bridging-the-communication-gap-with-dolotest-wonca-2011/